Saturday 23 July 2011

Friday 22nd July


Friday 22nd July – Ferry to Barcelona

I had hoped that we would spend a very relaxing day on the ferry just watching the world go by and catch up with sleep etc.  Somehow it just didn’t feel that relaxing.  There were constant announcements over the loudspeakers which made for an interrupted nights sleep, the corridors outside our cabin were constantly in use and noisy and it was blowing a force 6 outside which meant relaxing by the pool was unlikely as one had to be aware of either one’s own kit blowing away or, more importantly, someone else’s kit blowing into you!!!

The journey was spent wearing out a pack of cards!


We were late leaving so it was hardly surprising we were a couple of hours late arriving and I was somewhat concerned that we were going to have problems getting off the ferry as ‘the beast’ was so long and I was convinced that we would ground the back coming off.  I was right!  After lots of Italians rushing around and more ramps being put in place and the number plate scraping down the ship and everyone putting their hands on their heads in horror etc….. we eventually managed to disembark!


the boys with Spain on the horizon



the ferry terminal with Barcelona in the background


The journey to the campsite was quite short but owing to traffic, an accident and a blocked tunnel it was a good hour before we arrived.  The man in charge took one look at us and shook his head – ‘too big’ he said.  I used all of my charm; (which was required not just to persuade him to find a slot but also because I had not washed for 24 hrs and getting off the ferry had resulted in some profuse perspiration so I had to charm from a distance!) and he kindly found us somewhere.

We do seem to get looked at a lot when coming into campsites and I am sure that the general consensus is not a kind one.  I was asked when filling up on the way to Civitaveccia how much our ‘beast’ cost.  I responded that we had hired it but gave an estimate anyway.  I could see him thinking that he could buy a house for the same money!

On arrival we had a quick supper, dashed to the sea to dip our toes, had a quick shower and then bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment